Thanks to long time twitter friend Julia Rosien, who just happens to be the Withit 2012 President, I attended the WithIt Educational Breakfast at High Point Market this morning featuring keynote speaker Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan of Apartment Therapy.
For those of you who may not know . . . Apartment Therapy is one of, if not THE, top design blog. They receive 7 million unique visitors per month (PER MONTH!), their reader base is 59% women, and they currently have 18 full time and 170 freelance design bloggers that contribute to their success!
Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan’s presentation “10 Things You Need to Know about Apartment Therapy” shared Maxwell’s personal philosophy and and the mission that has changed the way millions approach creating a home. Regardless of whether you’re a renter or own your own home Maxwell says that “your home is a path not a place.” He went on to share the “Design’s purpose is beyond “stuff” it’s how you, your family and friends feel in your home.”
10 Things I Learned About Blogging from Apartment Therapy at the WithIt Educational Breakfast at High Point Market
- Have a mission.
- Know your purpose.
- Be a resource.
- Collaborate with guest bloggers.
- Share your passions online and off.
- Know your blog’s “prime time” – the better you know your readers the more your can offer them information they crave when they are hungry for it.
- Visit your readers blogs and participate in their success. Comment, share and celebrate!
- Paths are often blurry. Your success comes from knowledge of yourself and knowing where you excel.
- Don’t be afraid to put people in the rooms when taking photography of your projects.
- Environment affects learning – make sure your blog is the right environment for your readers.
What did you learn from Maxwell’s Presentation?
How will it change the way you connect with and build your community?
Be sure to enter Apartment Therapy’s Room for Color Contest!